ALBEMARLE, N.C. - Deputies have arrested and charged a man after a woman, who was dropped off in critical condition at a Stanly County hospital, died.
The Stanly County Sheriff's Office said 19-year-old Taylor Liles appeared to have been severely beaten.
She was dropped off shortly before noon on Saturday at Carolinas HealthCare System Stanly in Albemarle. She was then flown to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, where she died Sunday from her injuries.
Stanly County Sheriff Jeff Crisco told Channel 9 deputies arrested LeQuinton Melton and charged him with first-degree murder.
Crisco said the assault happened at Melton's home and he drove Liles to the hospital Saturday morning.
This is the first murder of 2019 investigated by the Stanly County Sheriff's Office.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'I felt something grab my leg': Teen surfer bitten by shark at Ocean Isle Beach
- NC park officials issue warning about 'zombie snake' that can play dead
- Crews rescue teenager stranded on South Fork River island
- FORECAST: Humidity drops as we dry out after 4 straight days of rain
- Grandmother of SC dad who killed his 5 kids asks to spare his life
© 2019 Cox Media Group.