• State board seeks actions against Best Western contractor, employees

    Updated:

    BOONE, N.C. - Eyewitness News has learned of new developments in the investigation into three deaths at a Boone Hotel last year.

    Three hotel employees and a local contractor could be punished for the carbon monoxide leak from a faulty pool heater that killed an elderly couple and then an 11-year-old boy weeks later.

    It’s not clear what the contractor's involvement was with the faulty pool heater at the Best Western but Eyewitness News’ partners at the Watauga Democrat report that the state board of examiners will hold a hearing to determine his punishment.

    The board also filed a complaint against three maintenance workers for the hotel's management company. It said they installed the pool heater and exhaust pipes without a proper license.

    Earlier this month a grand jury indicted the management company's president, Damon Mallatere, on involuntary manslaughter charges. He has denied responsibility.


    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    State board seeks actions against Best Western contractor, employees

  • Headline Goes Here

    2-year-old pelted 9 times by paintballs in her west Charlotte yard, mother says

  • Headline Goes Here

    Residents pushing Mecklenburg County leaders for more greenways

  • Headline Goes Here

    Man killed, three others injured in shootout at Union County hotel

  • Headline Goes Here

    Man fought gunman: He 'was going to have to work to kill me'