GASTON COUNTY, N.C. - A stolen pickup truck led police on a chase Monday afternoon and eventually crashed near Exit 17 on Interstate 85 in Gaston County, officials said.
The truck went airborne when it wrecked and got wedged atop a ditch.
The suspect was not seriously hurt, officials said.
"Yeah, this guy put a lot of people in danger,” said Sgt. Mickey Sanford, Gaston County Sheriff’s Office.
“Dallas Cherryville Highway is where it started. It's a two-lane road and the way he was passing cars in that area was extremely dangerous.”
The suspect stole the truck from a construction site, where the owner spotted him and called 911. Speeds in the chase reached 70 mph, officials said. There was a minor collision with another motorist, and the injuries were minor.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Officials: 3 rescued, 1 drowned after boat sinks on Catawba River
- Troopers: Driver who hit bus carrying preschoolers in Stanley Co. dies
- Police: South Carolina man hid $200K of stolen goods in network of tunnels
- FORECAST: Showers and mild temps before big heat wave rolls in
- South Carolina father shoots daughter he mistook as intruder
© 2019 Cox Media Group.