MINT HILL, N.C. - A gun was found at Rocky River High School on Friday, school officials confirmed.
Principal Erica Turner said the school received a tip that there was a student with a gun on campus.
The student was searched and the gun was found and taken by law enforcement officers.
School officials said there were no threats, but as a precaution, the school was placed on a modified lockdown.
The school sent Channel 9 this statement: “Any student caught violating the Code of Student Conduct will receive appropriate disciplinary action. I ask that every parent and guardian have a conversation with your student about the importance of making sure they never have a weapon at school. If a student is aware of a weapon on our campus or any school campus, I ask that they tell a school employee immediately so an investigation can be completed. I appreciate your support of our school and our students.”
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Driver struck, killed after getting out of crashed vehicle on I-485
- Police officer demoted after surrendering retired K-9 to shelter
- North Carolina teacher dies during school fire drill
- WATCH: Meteorologist Jaclyn Shearer's Saturday forecast outlook
- Man points gun at employees while trying to shoplift from Macy’s at Northlake Mall
© 2019 Cox Media Group.