CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Students at Independence High School were briefly evacuated Monday morning after officials reported a “strong odor” of gas inside the building.
The principal alerted parents with the following message:
“A possible gas leak was detected on campus and, according to our safety procedures, an orderly evacuation of students and staff from our buildings is in effect. Students and staff are safe. As a precautionary measure, one staff member has been transported for medical attention. Charlotte Fire Department is on our campus with safety personnel and CMS staff working to locate this possible leak and make repairs as needed to return students and staff to a normal day as soon as possible. I will update you with further information later this morning and thank you for your support of the IHS community.”
Students were evacuated to the bleachers on campus but returned to their classrooms around 9 a.m.
School officials said the source of the leak was located and the gas was turned off. Repairs are underway.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- SC prison secured after 7 inmates killed following riot, officials say
- Residents begin cleanup after harrowing storm: 'It was like a whirlwind'
- WATCH: Vicki Graf's Monday forecast outlook
- CMPD identifies man shot to death in city's 15th homicide of 2018
- Rock Hill pizza worker slapped after delivery service failed
© 2018 Cox Media Group.