BURGAW, N.C. — A suspect who escaped from a North Carolina jail is sharing how and why he did it.
Channel 9 alerted you to this story Friday morning on Eyewitness News Daybreak after a suspect escaped from the Pender County Jail.
Christopher Tew-Creech had just been arrested on drug warrants.
Police took him to the Pender County Jail.
He said he was sitting in the lobby when he spotted his opportunity.
One of his cuffs was loose.
"I saw there for a minute and contemplated it, and I was kinda like, 'I really shouldn't do this right now, but when am I gonna have another chance.'"
Tew-Creech made a run for it.
He said he wanted to see his family one more time, fearing he wouldn't be able to for a while.
Authorities tracked him down hours later.
Police say the officer who arrested him did not follow proper containment procedure.
As of Saturday morning, the officer has not been disciplined.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police search for 3 suspects after man, woman killed at Salisbury park
- Suspect escapes Pender Co. Jail, speaks about how and why he did it
- CMPD searching for man, with distinctive tattoo, accused of sexual assault in uptown
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Saturday forecast outlook
- Widow wants answers 1 year after husband shot, killed in crash
Cox Media Group