CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Troopers arrested a man accused of driving drunk, side-swiping a fire truck and then leading police on a chase in west Charlotte overnight.
The Highway Patrol said firefighters were responding to a crash on Interstate 85 just before 2 a.m. when a driver hit the truck.
They said that man kept going and tried to get off the exit to Little Rock Road.
"I don't know if the gentleman was trying to slow down and get on this ramp, which would have been devastating being the wrong way, but the trooper did a lawful pit maneuver, which was able to successfully get the suspect stopped," said trooper Darren Conrad.
Channel 9 is asking the Highway Patrol for the man's name and what charges he's facing.
The fire truck wasn't seriously damaged.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Mother of 4 killed in Salisbury home invasion, police say
- Police searching for missing 16-year-old Charlotte girl
- CMPD: Woman shot while walking along road in northwest Charlotte
- CMPD on scene of death investigation in east Charlotte
- Troopers: Suspected drunk driver side-swiped fire truck, led police on chase
Cox Media Group