CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A busy road in east Charlotte was blocked after a driver crashed their SUV into a utility pole early Friday morning.
Police said a young woman pulled out of the McDonald’s on Eastway Drive, between Central Avenue and Independence Boulevard, around 12:30 a.m.
While accelerating, the driver spilled their drink, and while looking down she swerved off the road and hit the pole, officers told Channel 9.
Duke Energy crews arrived on the scene around 4 a.m. and roughly 2,000 people were briefly without power in the area.
Officials hope to have the road open by 1 p.m.
No charges have been filed.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- CMPD chief: Officers shoot, kill gunman following CATS bus shooting
- NC woman finds dead body in used freezer bought from neighbor
- Family of 19-year-old hit, killed by car hopes others follow her path in faith
- Busy east Charlotte road closed after SUV crashes into utility pole
- Deals and freebies for National Doughnut Day
Cox Media Group