CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A Jewish family in Matthews hopes authorities will find who was responsible for carving a swastika onto their truck.
"I was sort of mad, sad, broken-hearted, and really angry that someone would damage my property like that especially with that kind of a symbol because, as a Jew, it symbolizes the murder of six million of my brothers and sisters,” the victim, who did not want to be identified, said.
He wonders if the sign of hate could lead to something worse.
The owner of the truck called Charlotte-Mecklenburg police and notified his neighbors using the Nextdoor app.
Neighbor Ann Margret Gidley created a GoFundMe account to help pay for repairs and surveillance equipment.
So far, 50 people have donated to the cause.
"It's unacceptable,” Gidley said. “We won’t stand for it in this community. Our voices are stronger than yours.”
No arrests have been made.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Policy violations led to CMS superintendent's suspension, sources say
- AMBER ALERT: 4-month-old girl abducted from North Carolina daycare
- Wife says husband drowned trying to rescue kids at NC beach
- FORECAST: Hot, muggy conditions press on with no relief in sight
- 3 North Carolinians charged after kids found locked in back of U-Haul carrying drugs
© 2019 Cox Media Group.