GRANITE FALLS, N.C. — Deputies have charged a teenager in the shooting death of a 48-year-old man in Caldwell County.
Authorities were called Friday to a home on Estes Lane in Granite Falls for a welfare check, and when they arrived officers found Joseph Bolick Sr. dead inside.
They said he was shot several times.
Investigators developed leads in the case that led them to an unnamed 15-year-old, who was taken into custody and charged in the case.
Deputies have not released the official charges or revealed a motive in the shooting.
It is still unclear why Bolick and the teen were at the home or how they knew each other.
Bolick’s friend Michelle Eldridge doesn't understand why someone would shoot and kill him.
"My body just went numb,” she said. “I had to pull off the side of the road. It tore me to pieces. I couldn't imagine why someone would do that to him."
Neighbor Eric Austin said Bolick worked as a carpenter.
"He was a very quiet guy,” Austin said. “Never bothered anybody. He'd just go in and play his music and have a good time. Just blows your mind."
Channel 9 has been in touch with the district attorney's office, hoping to learn more about the case.
The State Bureau of Investigations helped the sheriff’s office with their investigation.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Tie or no tie? Dress-code flap defines Panthers' 40-7 loss
- 7-year-old girl killed after Salisbury home sprayed with bullets, police say
- Driver blames foggy windshield for crash that damaged sheriff's office
- Police: Gun-toting Salisbury man wanted to investigate 'Pizza Gate'
- Flight diverts to Charleston when baby born in the air
Cox Media Group