CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A 19-year-old man was robbed and kidnapped at gunpoint by two people Tuesday morning at the Blakeney Plaza off Rea Road in Ballantyne, according to a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department report.
The area is known for not having many violent crimes.
“Around here, it’s extremely safe, you know?” resident Clive Joe said. “We don’t have any incidents around here.”
The teen was kidnapped around 11 a.m. at the Wells Fargo branch in the shopping center.
Some shoppers Channel 9 spoke with weren’t surprised about the crime.
“Just because this is a nice area, doesn’t mean it can’t happen,” Darren Fox said. “It’s unfortunate, but that’s what goes on in this crazy world we live in.”
The victim was not hurt and there has not been any suspect information released.
Most of the crimes committed in October and November at the shopping center have been shoplifting.
There's been one assault, two cases of vandalism and a burglary reported in the past four weeks within a half-mile radius of the Wells Fargo.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Private school founder gets federal prison term for role in human trafficking
- Worker hurt in explosion, fire at Catawba County plant, firefighters say
- Charlotte defense attorney explains increase in violent crimes
- FORECAST: Near-record lows Wednesday morning; chill sticking around
- 2 boys who escaped Concord development center captured
© 2019 Cox Media Group.