LANCASTER COUNTY, S.C. - A 16-year-old Indian Land boy was killed after being hit by an SUV late Wednesday afternoon in Lancaster County, troopers said.
The collision happened along Highway 160 near Calvin Hall Road in Indian Land.
A 60-yr-old Fort Mill man was driving the SUV when it went off the road and hit the teen, who was on the shoulder, troopers confirmed.
The boy's name has not been released.
“It’s horrible. It really is,” nearby resident, Edward Palka, said.
Chopper 9 Skyzoom flew over the scene and could see patrol cars blocking one lane along Highway 160.
“At first I thought it was a car accident but as we got closer, I didn’t see any cars, and I saw people on the side of the road bending down tending to someone,” Palka said.
An off-duty Lancaster County deputy, who saw the victim on the side of the road, called it in.
The teen was rushed to Atrium Health Pineville where he died.
Residents said there are not many accidents on the road and traffic is heavy during the evening commute.
Troopers have not said if the driver will face charges.
Check back for updates on this developing story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Private school founder gets federal prison term for role in human trafficking
- Worker hurt in explosion, fire at Catawba County plant, firefighters say
- Charlotte defense attorney explains increase in violent crimes
- FORECAST: Near-record lows Wednesday morning; chill sticking around
- 2 boys who escaped Concord development center captured
© 2019 Cox Media Group.