COLUMBIA, S.C. - Temporary license plates are set to change in South Carolina, making it easier for police to track cars used in crimes or hit-and-run incidents.
Currently, paper tags in the Palmetto State only have details on when the plate expires. Residents purchasing a new vehicle will get a trackable paper plate.
The new paper tags are available immediately but become mandatory on November 11.
That will allow police agencies to more easily identify the owner of the vehicle.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'She didn't bother anybody': Salisbury mother followed, killed by stranger
- Missing Maui hiker's NC family still searching for her; boyfriend passes polygraph
- NC Taco Bell workers appear to smoke inside, as line of cars grows in drive-thru
- FORECAST: Warmer, humid conditions expected for rest of week
- 15-footer among 'cluster' of great white sharks tracked off Carolina coast
© 2019 Cox Media Group.