ELLERBE, N.C. — Police are investigating a triple homicide Sunday afternoon in Ellerbe, North Carolina.
Police say Gloria Durham, 60, and her two children, Samuel Durham, 42 and Latasha Durham, 38, were killed.
The suspect, Steve Smith, was charged with three counts of murder, breaking and entering and lying to law enforcement.
(Steve Williams Smith)
Family members told Channel 9 that Durham and Smith had a tumultuous relationship that spanned nearly 20 years. They said she tried to leave him but he wouldn't let her go.
"If you dont' want somebody or they don't want you, let it be, go on your merry way. Don't take a life," one family member said.
Three young children were home but they were not harmed.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police investigating triple homicide in small NC town
- 1 person shocked by power lines after Mooresville crash
- Trooper hospitalized, 2 arrested after 110 mph chase through Charlotte
- United Airlines pilot reportedly removed from flight after rant about Trump, Clinton, divorce
- Walt Disney World raises ticket prices