FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. - A 19-month-old boy was seriously hurt when he was attacked by his grandmother's pit bull in Fayetteville Wednesday night, officials said, WTVD reported.
The grandmother, Rachel McDuffie, told WTVD that she was with her grandson Dominic Chance in the backyard around 8:45 p.m. when she went inside for a few minutes.
McDuffie said that when she came back outside, she found her grandson wrapped in the pit bull's chain, with the dog on top of him.
She said she quickly got the boy away from the dog to stop the pit bull from biting his neck.
Officials said Chance was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center with dog bites on his neck and face and was later airlifted to UNC in Chapel Hill.
McDuffie also had bite marks on her arms but chose not to go to the hospital.
She said Chance's condition is improving.
McDuffie said she surrendered her dog to the county to be euthanized.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com
- 2 people dead after shooting at nightclub in Lancaster, officials say
- ‘Stone merchandise' falls on customer at Charlotte business, killing him
- Community rallies in support of high school cheerleaders holding MAGA banner
- 'We will never forgive him': UNCC shooting suspect pleads guilty to killing 2, injuring 4
- ‘Take care of it': NC sheriff accused of plotting murder of deputy over tape of racist comments
© 2019 Cox Media Group.