CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Local contractors cut a gas line about three feet underground, which forced officials to close Steele Creek Road in both directions Monday during rush hour. It reopened at about 9:30 p.m.
The Charlotte Fire Department urged drivers to use caution in the area of Shopton and Steele Berry roads and to seek alternate routes.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
At about 8 p.m., CFD said the leak was under control, but the road remained closed while PNG crews made repairs.
No injuries were reported.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Union County elementary school principal arrested for simple assault
- Mother, son found shot to death at Catawba County home; suspect arrested
- Massive 5-alarm fire rips through Rowan County scrapyard
- FORECAST: Sunny skies, mild temps expected before fall-like conditions settle in
- Heavy fire, smoke billows from 2-alarm east Charlotte apartment fire
© 2019 Cox Media Group.