SALISBURY, N.C. - Two skydivers who had a parachute malfunction that left them hanging in a Salisbury tree are thanking their lucky stars.
When Casey Ellis and her instructor, Derek Abernathy, lept from the plane Saturday over the Rowan County Airport, something went wrong.
Ellis said they were spinning and falling out of control before they were caught in a tree off a sewer right-of-way.
Salisbury Fire Department Deputy Chief David Morris said the call came in around 7:58 p.m.
Emergency responders used a ladder to scale the tree and check on the skydivers. A hoist was setup to lift and lower the pair, who escaped with minor scratches.
Ellis, who drove with a friend from West Virginia to knock an item off their bucket list, said she won't be skydiving again.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- SC prison secured after 7 inmates killed following riot, officials say
- Residents begin cleanup after harrowing storm: 'It was like a whirlwind'
- WATCH: Vicki Graf's Monday forecast outlook
- CMPD identifies man shot to death in city's 15th homicide of 2018
- Rock Hill pizza worker slapped after delivery service failed
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.