CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The search for Marlo Johnis Medina-Chevez continues as people were at the Scaleybark light rail station Wednesday handing out fliers in hopes for some good news.
Family members weren't part of the search party because they met with police. A family friend wasn't aware of any new developments.
"They are keeping it together as much as they can," Majhetzy Angeles said. "They are very hopeful that we will find him."
Earlier this week, police found the SUV belonging to Medina-Chevez, who has not been seen or heard from since his shift Saturday night.
The SUV was found in Maryland, and police confirmed that they have charged two people in connection with the case.
Police told Channel 9 Tuesday that they have charged Diontray Adams and James Stevens for their involvement in the case.
Authorities have not yet found the 44-year-old Medina-Chevez. He was reported missing after last being seen in the 6900 block of Ayrshire Glen Place.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police are treating the case as a homicide investigation.
Homicide detectives determined that a credit card belonging to Medina-Chevez was used in Maryland. On Monday, detectives drove to Maryland to continue their investigation and were notified around 11:50 p.m. that authorities received a license plate reader hit on Medina-Chevez's 2008 Nissan Pathfinder near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.
“When we got the call that they found the car, I mean, it's a step closer to finding my dad,” said Deborah Medina, the daughter of Medina-Chevez. “We're so close to finding him. A car gives us hope, even if it's just a car.”
Maryland Transit Authority officers and Maryland State Police stopped the SUV and detained four people who were inside it. Two of those occupants were released without being charged.
Adams and Stevens were taken to a police station to be interviewed by CMPD detectives. Adams, 25, has been charged with financial credit card fraud along with outstanding Maryland warrants, while Stevens, 20, has been charged with possession of a stolen vehicle.
Police said more charges could be forthcoming.
(James Aaron Stevens)
“We believe they were in Charlotte when they had possession of the vehicle,” Maj. Cam Selvey said.
Medina-Chevez's family made a passionate plea Tuesday for anyone who may have seen him to come forward.
"We’re not being pessimistic. We have our hopes up. We’re going to find him," said Deborah Medina.
Speaking in Spanish, Elsa Medina, Medina-Chevez’s wife, fought back tears as she pleaded for him to call and come home.
“She just wants him home,” Deborah Medina said. “She doesn't want to go another night without him or knowing where he is.”
The family also thanked the Charlotte community for the support during the difficult time.
Police said Monday that they believe Medina-Chevez may be in "grave danger." Investigators said he last picked up a client at 9:45 p.m. Saturday and did not return home.
“The last we heard of him was around 10,” said Chevez-Medina’s daughter. “He called his sister. He texted me at 9:30 p.m., and that's the last time we heard from him.”
Police said Elsa Medina reported her husband missing at 10:47 a.m. Sunday.
“We want you home,” Medina-Chevez's daughter said. “There's a lot of people looking for you."
Medina-Chevez is Hispanic, 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighing 108 pounds. He has black hair and brown eyes, and was last seen wearing a gray short-sleeve shirt, jeans and sandals.
His family said they have searched areas where he has been known to drive, like Plaza Midwood, NoDa and uptown Charlotte near the Epicentre.
“We just looked around, hoping his car was parked somewhere,” Deborah Medina said. “Hoping to maybe spot him or something. Just let us know you're OK. Come home.”
(WATCH: CMPD says Medina-Chevez is in "grave danger")
Medina-Chevez learned on Friday he will be a grandfather for the second time.
If anyone has information about Medina-Chevez, call 911 immediately, or Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Islamic State group claims deadly Manchester concert bombing
- Former James Bond actor Roger Moore dead at 89
- VIDEO: Showers, flash flood watches continue through Tuesday
- Case of missing Uber driver turned over to homicide detectives
- North Meck teacher charged with sex acts with student to face judge
- WATCH: Investigators consider Huntersville Target crime scene after fire
Cox Media Group