CHARLOTTE — There are thousands of data-science jobs available in North Carolina, but there is no one to fill them, officials said.
It's a problem across the U.S., and the number of vacant positions is expected to grow.
UNC Charlotte is opening a school to train students to fill those open positions.
“We talk to corporations and entities and governmental bodies every day that are looking for the skill set,” said Doug Hague, executive director of UNCC’s Interdisciplinary School of Data Science.
In the video at the top of this webpage, Channel 9’s Blaine Tolison gets an inside look at the new school.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- ‘A once-in-a-generation player’: Panthers’ LB Luke Kuechly retires after 8 seasons
- 2.3 magnitude earthquake recorded near Kershaw days after area hit by EF-2 tornado
- Independence HS placed on lockdown after report of student with gun
- FORECAST: Dense fog for morning commute before more rain chances arrive
- Retired assistant police chief’s comment gets some backlash
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group