STATESVILLE, N.C. - The Statesville City Council voted 3-5 Monday night against a motion to change the ordinance limiting the size of a massive American flag at Gander RV, the Record & Landmark reported.
John Staford, C.O. “Jap” Johnson and Steve Johnson voted for the defeated change in the ordinance. William Morgan, Roy West Jr., Doris Allison, Michael Johnson and Keith Williams voted against it.
The 40-by-80-foot flag can be seen off Interstate 77. The current ordinance limits flags to be 25-by-40 feet.
- Statesville planning board approves flag size change for RV business
- 'The flag is not coming down': Camping World CEO rallies employees
- Change would allow huge flag to keep flying at Statesville RV dealership
- The big flag might stay; 'The Profit' might not go to jail
- RV dealership flies huge American flag on Memorial Day as fines mount
- City ordinance won't allow giant American flag to be flown over Statesville Camping World
- Camping World CEO blasts Statesville council, vows flag 'isn't coming down'
The Statesville Planning Board had a special midday meeting last Monday and approved a recommendation to Statesville City Council to increase the flag size limit.
The vote does not affect the injunction filed against Gander RV in May which asks the court to order Gander RV to comply with the ordinance and pay a $50 per day fine.
The CEO of the RV dealership, Marcus Lemonis, started a petition on change.org in support of the flag. The petition has garnered more than 300,000 signatures.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Deputies: 2 dead, including 11-year-old boy, after mobile home set on fire
- 8-year-old boy bitten by shark at Bald Head Island
- Lucky break helps teen survive surprise ray strike off Hilton Head
- FORECAST: Monday kicks off week of rainy, muggy weather across region
- Retired UNC professor dead after disappearing during NY swim race
© 2019 Cox Media Group.