LANCASTER, S.C. - Deputies said they arrested an armed and dangerous man the day after a deadly shooting Wednesday evening near downtown Lancaster.
Raykeivis Nesbit, 31, was wanted for murder in connection with the shooting death of 33-year-old Domingo Champion.
According to officials, deputies were responding to a call on Lymon Reece Road just before 7:30 p.m. when they heard gunshots nearby. They found a woman on 16th Street near Brooklyn Avenue trying to help Champion, who had been shot.
Champion was rushed to Carolinas Medical Center, where he later died.
Deputies said Nesbit, who took off after the shooting, was quickly identified as a suspect.
They said he was taken into custody at a home in Kershaw County.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Researchers say 13-foot great white shark bitten by even bigger shark
- NASCAR Xfinity Series team hauler crashes on I-40, 2 hurt
- Woman found dead at west Charlotte shoe store, investigation underway
- FORECAST: Morning temps in 40s around metro, sub-freezing in high country
- 'I feel betrayed': Mom says assistant principal preyed on her son for sex
© 2019 Cox Media Group.