BRUNSWICK COUNTY, N.C. — A Brunswick County park has posted videos online showing how alligators are surviving the winter cold snap that has gripped the Carolinas.
The videos, posted by Shallotte River Swamp Park, show the alligators sticking their noses out of the ice surrounding them.
Experts said the reptiles instinctively know when the water they’re in is about to freeze, so they put their nostrils out into the open to breathe.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 6 gang members with ties to Lake Wylie couple's slayings sentenced
- Family warns of dangers after 21-year-old dies of flu complications
- WATCH: Gators poke snouts out of ice to survive cold at NC park
- CMPD: Alcohol a factor in crash that killed 1, injured 3 north of uptown
- VIDEO: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast update
- School and business closing alerts
Cox Media Group