DURHAM, N.C. — An Oscar-winning short film is getting a lot of love. It’s called “Hair Love,” and it’s about a black father who struggles at first but eventually succeeds in styling his daughter’s hair.
A father and daughter in Durham said the short film spoke to them.
“It’s just me and her, and I gotta get this hair done before we go to school. Whoever said these brushes were pain-free never dealt with a 5-year-old,” said Michael Scott.
Scott said he learned to do a few hairstyles by watching his sisters and nieces. He said he’s proud of the movie’s recognition and the message it sends to black fathers around the world.
“We take care of our daughters. More of, in the sense of going to work and paying bills,” said Scott.
The director of “Hair Love," Matthew Cherry, is a former NFL player, who signed with the Carolina Panthers practice squad in 2006.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- SEARCH FOR FAYE: Photos released of vehicles in neighborhood at time 6-year-old girl vanished
- LIVE Local Radar
- Woman says $30K worth of luxury items stolen from luggage at Charlotte Douglas
- Charges dropped against man accused of gunning down Charlotte gas station clerk
- Gunman robs Charlotte Taco Bell by prying open drive-thru window
- 9 Investigates: Statesville housing program changed rules, cut participants’ savings accounts
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group