KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. - Autopsy results have determined a man found dead near a pond in South Carolina died of natural causes before an alligator bit him.
The Post and Courier reports Charleston County deputies found John Elias shortly after 4 p.m. Saturday in a pond near his home on Kiawah Island. Officials said search crews found Elias hours after a missing persons report was filed.
According to Department of Natural Resources reports obtained by WCIV, the man's body appeared to have alligator bite marks.
Deputies said the alligator was found Sunday afternoon and killed. The state's DNR looked at what was inside the alligator's digestive tract.
Results found Elias' injuries from the alligator were made after he died.
In Charleston County, there has been only one confirmed person ever killed by an alligator and two in the state of South Carolina.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Pregnant teen shot in northwest Charlotte; baby, mother have critical injuries
- CMPD: Woman kidnapped, raped, robbed at gunpoint in University City area
- Deputies: Suspect arrested after Caldwell County man found shot to death
- FORECAST: Chance for storms remain as area recovers from Saturday's severe weather
- Sizing up salaries: The 21 Charlotte-area jobs that pay $85K to $100K
© 2019 Cox Media Group.