GASTONIA, N.C. — Police have charged a woman after they said she cut her son and a toddler he was holding with a samurai-style sword at a home near Gastonia Monday.
Investigators told Channel 9 that Mechelle Willis was arguing with her son, who was throwing items at her, when she grabbed the sword and swung it at him inside the home on Safeway Drive.
Willis’ son was holding a 2-year-old boy and both he and the toddler were hit by the sword, which police said was still in its wooden sheath.
Police said the two were not critically injured, but officers charged Willis, who turns 46 Wednesday, with assault with a deadly weapon, assault on a child under 12 and assault with a deadly weapon with a minor present.
She was booked into the Gaston County jail on a $10,000 bond.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- NC mother outraged after daycare worker breastfeeds her son
- CMPD: Construction worker killed after falling out of truck, hitting head
- Teacher suspended after showing students anti-bullying video
- UNC Charlotte student, boyfriend killed in crash involving drunk driver
- Great white shark bites boat off coast of Hilton Head
Cox Media Group