LILLINGTON, N.C. — An elderly woman died Sunday night when her Christmas tree caught fire and the flames quickly spread throughout her home, investigators said.
The fire happened in Lillington, officials said, and damaged the first and second floors of the house.
Though Sarah Beddingfield wasn’t able to escape, police said her husband and two daughters survived.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Drugs, cash, guns seized from Lincoln County home with small children
- Cam Newton invites Levine Children's Hospital patients to luxury at Panthers game
- Two families displaced after mobile homes catch fire in northwest Charlotte
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Christmas Day outlook
- Local husband, wife save lives at separate locations on Christmas Eve
Cox Media Group