CHARLOTTE, N.C. — World Wrestling Entertainment says pro wrestling legend Ric Flair is out of surgery and resting after being hospitalized.
The statement Monday did not give details about the nature of the surgery.
A representative for the showman known as "Nature Boy" says he was admitted to the hospital for routine monitoring. Melinda Morris Zanoni of Legacy Talent asked on Twitter Monday for "prayers & positive energy" because Flair has "tough medical issues."
Former pro wrestler Mick Foley and wrestling executive Eric Bischoff are among numerous wrestlers wishing Flair well on Twitter.
Known for his flamboyant outfits and "Woooo!" catchphrase, Flair made his professional debut in 1972 and was inducted into the World Wrestling Entertainment Hall of Fame in 2008.
“He's really like the Babe Ruth or the Michael Jordan of our industry,” friend and former pro-wrestler Magnum T.A. told Channel 9. “And there will never be another one quite like him, that’s for sure.”
Channel 9 spoke with a group of well-wishers at Mac's Speed Shop.
"I love Ric. I've lived here for 21 years and Ric goes to the same cleaners I go to normally,” Chele Fassiq said. “I see him at Stonecrest. He's a legend in this town."
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Flash flooding washes away 20-foot section of Mallard Creek Road
- Charlotte School of Law closing immediately, alumni association says
- Officials identify Charlotte teen who drowned in Mountain Island Lake
- Eclipse viewers scramble to find scarce glasses
- WATCH: Vicki Graf's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Charges sought against those who toppled Durham Confederate statue
Cox Media Group