CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Channel 9 is grateful for all the hard work our frontline workers are doing to help keep families safe -- so we partnered with the Bandit Flight Team and the North Carolina Healthcare Association for a flyover to honor workers battling the coronavirus.
The Raleigh-based Bandit Flight Team flew over eight hospitals and medical centers throughout the Charlotte area as a salute to those who are putting their lives on the line each and every day.
“The smoke is our way of saying thank you, so when the smoke comes on we are saying thank you, but we’re not doing it for us. We feel like we are representing the entire community,” said Jim Kilpatrick.
>> Have questions about the coronavirus pandemic and its impact on the Carolinas? We have an entire section dedicated to coverage of the outbreak -- CLICK HERE FOR MORE.
The flyover was re-scheduled for May 22 due to weather.
The event started at Atrium Health in Pineville and ended at Lake Norman Regional.
Along the way, it flew over hospitals in Mint Hill, Huntersville and uptown Charlotte.
“If you’re even close or in proximity, come out, look up, watch the fly-over and join in our salute,” said Kilpatrick.
Schedule for the mission:
- Atrium Health Pineville - 6:11 p.m.
- Atrium Health’s Carolinas Medical Center - 6:15 p.m.
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center - 6:17 p.m.
- Atrium Health Mercy Hospital - 6:17 p.m.
- Novant Health Mint Hill - 6:23 p.m.
- Atrium Health University - 6:27 p.m.
- Novant Health Huntersville - 6:31 p.m.
- Lake Norman Regional Medical Center - 6:35 p.m.
More information about the Bandit Flight Team here.
More information about the North Carolina Healthcare Association here.
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group