CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The McCrorey YMCA unveiled its refurbished basketball facility Saturday as part of the NBA 2K Foundations program.
Charlotte Hornets’ All-Star Kemba Walker and community leaders were on hand for the event at the YMCA on Beatties Ford Road.
The upgrades included a special court design from Charlotte artist Georgie Nakima, upgraded lighting, paint and basketball equipment.
“We want to actually get involved in the community and continue to build programming and be there for the long haul," said Jason Argent, senior vice president of Basketball Operations for NBA 2K.
The redevelopment is part of the program that supports underserved communities by revitalizing basketball facilities across the nation.
The initiative has upgraded several basketball courts in Los Angeles and Baltimore and at LeBron James’ I Promise School in Cleveland.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: Multiple people arrested for 'driving erratically' on ATVs, dirt bikes across Charlotte
- CMPD investigating after man shot, killed in parking lot near south Charlotte club
- CMPD: Man fatally shot after punching woman in face, jumping onto car hood
- FORECAST: Chilly, wet weather to last through remainder of All-Star Weekend
- Police investigating after man dies following shooting, car crash in southeast Charlotte
© 2019 Cox Media Group.