YORK COUNTY, S.C. - A York County woman has been sentenced to 90 days in jail after her second arrest for walking topless outside her home.
Channel 9's partners at The Herald of Rock Hill reported that 55-year-old Jeannie Jonas pleaded guilty Thursday to indecent exposure.
Her attorney said Jonas would not have been arrested if she had been a man. Jonas considered challenging the state law on the basis of gender bias, but decided to plead guilty instead.
Jonas was on probation for an earlier guilty plea to the same charge.
Jonas told police last year she wanted to join a nudist colony.
Prosecutors said that neighbors said Jonas has been walking around naked or nearly nude for eight years.
The maximum penalty for indecent exposure is three years in prison.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Franklin Graham: ‘I am trying to warn America, warn Duke...
- Numerous crashes blamed on ice, fog across Charlotte region
- Gastonia restaurant owner's wife turns self in on drug charges
- Police search for driver after SUV wrecks in south Charlotte yard
- York County woman gets jail for walking around topless