CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - A second man has been sentenced to prison in the 2014 beating death of a University of North Carolina professor.
The Herald-Sun reports that 28-year-old Derick Davis II pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and robbery in Feng Liu's death and was sentenced Tuesday to serve up to 34 years.
Davis' co-defendant, Troy Arrington, was found guilty of first-degree murder in 2017 and sentenced to life without parole.
(Professor Feng Liu)
Authorities say Liu was hit in the head with a landscaping rock and robbed while on a walk near campus. He died the next day.
The 59-year-old was a research professor at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy. His research interests focused on gene and drug delivery in cancer treatment.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'Faulty mechanical equipment' blamed for active shooter report at Topsail HS
- Brother of Brody Allen, who died of brain cancer, hit by multiple vehicles
- Feds intervene in claims of racial slurs at Mooresville restaurant
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Friday forecast outlook
- FBI needs help identifying man seen in video in 13-year-old girl's abduction
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.