ATLANTA - Documents show that an Atlanta police officer who shot a tourist who was in town to attend a motocross event at the Georgia Dome has been fired.
WSB-TV reports that it obtained documents that Sgt. Mathieu Cadeau was notified of the firing May 8.
Authorities said Cadeau was working an off-duty job directing traffic near the dome in February.
Cadeau told investigators that he shot Noel Hall of Morganton, North Carolina, because he feared for his safety. Officials said at the time that Hall disregarded the officer's commands and drove in his direction.
But Hall told WSB that he and his family drove around the officer, not at him, and the officer responded by shooting him and missing his heart by a couple of inches.
No charges have been filed.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 83 United Blood Nation gang members arrested in 5-state raid
- MUGSHOTS: Dozens of Blood gang members arrested in gang crackdown
- CMPD: Mother of 4 shot after interrupting robbery outside home
- 9 Investigates: Twins accused of faking pregnancies while panhandling
- VIDEO: Keith Monday's weekend preview forecast
- MUST WATCH: Trio in custody after chase, crash in Chester Co.
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.