EMERALD ISLE, N.C. — The Coast Guard has suspended its search for a teenage boy who went missing while swimming at Emerald Isle.
A news release from Emerald Isle officials says two teens were caught in a rip current Saturday afternoon.
One of the teens, a 16-year-old boy, was found and brought ashore by a surfer. He was taken to a hospital and was in critical condition Sunday.
A 17-year-old boy remained missing Sunday. Patrol boats and helicopters helped with the search before it was suspended Sunday afternoon.
A Coast Guard news release says the vessels searched for 25 hours and that suspending the search was a difficult decision.
Authorities say the boys were from Wayne County and visiting the beach on a day trip. Their names weren't released.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police find 73-year-old man reported missing from retirement facility
- Concord mother attacked by shark: 'He had my whole arm in his mouth'
- VIDEO: Charlotte man records shark close to shore in Atlantic Beach
- No arrests after 17-year-old slain in Monroe's first homicide of 2017
- Coast Guard suspends search for swimmer off Emerald Isle
- WATCH: Christine Rapp's Monday forecast outlook