ASHEVILLE, N.C. - A Florida man has died in a kayak accident on a river in western North Carolina.
Buncombe County sheriff's deputies pulled the body of a pinned kayaker from the park outside Asheville on Tuesday. The victim has been identified as 56-year-old Delmer Melvin Garratt, of Lakeland, Florida.
Someone noticed an overturned kayak in the water late Tuesday morning.
Members of a swift water rescue team were able to get to the kayak and remove the body about 90 minutes later.
Sheriff spokeswoman Natalie Bailey said deputies will continue to investigate the death, but it appears to have been an accident.
Four people have died in paddling accidents in western North Carolina so far this year. These are the first paddling deaths since 2014.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Local schools closed as thousands of teachers march in Raleigh
- SOLD: David Tepper 'thrilled' to be next owner of Carolina Panthers
- Boy describes Hilton Head shark attack: 'I'm dreaming, wake me up!'
- WATCH: Keith Monday's stormy Wednesday outlook
- Local families lose money, sued after custom builders don't finish homes
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.