DURHAM, N.C. - Police in Durham said officers shot and killed a man who pointed a handgun at them at a popular shopping center.
Durham police said officers responded Wednesday night to New Hope Commons, acting on a tip about a man driving a red pickup truck who was reported to be suicidal and armed.
Police spokesman Wil Glenn says they found him in a parking lot after a 90-minute search and tried to speak with him, but he pointed his handgun. It's unclear how many officers fired their weapons in response.
Police Chief C.J. Davis offered "concern and condolences" over the loss of life.
The man hasn't been identified. The shooting is under investigation.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Motorcyclist killed after hitting tractor-trailer, run over by dump truck
- Father, 4-month-old daughter killed in violent Burke County crash
- FORECAST: Brief break from severe weather but more storms on the way
- Deputies make arrest days after 9-year-old robbed at lemonade stand
- 'Low-level acid leak' reported at company investigated by Channel 9
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.