LITTLETON, N.C. - Authorities in North Carolina are searching for two suspects after a Sunday school teacher was killed and a pastor severely injured after a home invasion robbery ended with a house fire.
Warren County Sheriff Johnny Williams said the couple, John and Nancy Alford, arrived at their home Friday morning and found the robbers inside. The sheriff said the suspects made Nancy drive to a bank and withdraw $1,000 before forcing the couple inside the home and setting it on fire.
Williams said John Alford escaped but couldn't rescue his wife.
The fire killed Nancy Alford, who taught at Sanford Memorial Baptist Church in Brodnax, Virginia. John Alford suffered burns and smoke inhalation. He preached at the church for the past 10 years.
The robbers fled in the couple's car, which has been recovered.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Local students participate in national walkout against school violence
- NC Governor Roy Cooper proposes gun law changes after school shooting
- 9-year-old ‘guardian angel’ saves SC man trapped beneath Mustang
- VIDEO: Keith Monday’s Wednesday forecast outlook
- No arrests after NC pastor beaten, wife killed in home invasion, arson
- Casey Parsons, charged with murder of adopted daughter, to face judge
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.