DURHAM, N.C. - A opossum has illegally taken up residence in the ceiling of a Duke University dorm, where students have been complaining about being bitten by fleas.
Students in Few Quad got some new roommates recently when fleas and an opossum moved in:https://t.co/AdaveHaBJu— The Chronicle (@DukeChronicle) November 11, 2019
The school’s assistant vice president of student affairs, Joe Gonzalez, told reporters on Wednesday that the school has yet to catch the elusive opossum that students first complained about in October.
He says the creature has escaped custody partly because it appears to be splitting its time between the Few Quad dorm and somewhere else.
Reports of fleas also began to surface last month, prompting the school to put students up in another dorm while they fumigated the place. Gonzalez says the opossum may have brought the fleas, but that’s unconfirmed.
Irritated students are questioning why they’re dealing with such conditions at a $78,608-per-year school.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'It doesn't make me feel safe': Men say they were randomly attacked in uptown
- Roanoke, Virginia, manhunt: City schools closed as police search for murder suspect
- Report: 19-year-old robbed, kidnapped at Ballantyne shopping center
- FORECAST: Frigid temps grip Carolinas, more rain on the way
- Home for sale goes up in flames hours after offer made to buy it
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.