CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Charlotte Hornets selected power forward PJ Washington from Kentucky with the 12th overall pick in the NBA draft.
The 6-foot-8, 230-pound Washington averaged 15.2 points and 7.6 rebounds per game last season for John Calipari's Wildcats. Washington boasts a 7-foot-3 wingspan and improved his shooting last year after returning for his sophomore season with the Wildcats. He shot 42.3 percent from 3-point range last year.
Washington says returning to Kentucky was a wide decision, saying he doesn't think he would have been a first-round draft pick had he left after this freshman season.
The Hornets are growing a little long in the tooth at the power forward position with Marvin Williams still the starter, so Washington gives them a younger option.
The Hornets have two picks remaining in the second round.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Troopers: 1 killed in crash on ramp from I-85 to I-485 in west Charlotte
- Myrtle Beach tourist snaps photos of sharks lurking feet from beachgoers
- Deputies looking for man accused of shooting, killing teen riding in car
- FORECAST: Afternoon storms could produce hail, small tornado threat
- Daughters find missing father's body in trash bag under SC home
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.