ASHEVILLE, N.C. - Officials with the Great Smoky Mountains National Park said a man died and a woman was injured in a car crash.
The park said in a news release that 37-year-old Timothy Patrick James McCauley of Farmington, Missouri, was killed when the car he was driving left the road and landed about 50 feet below and about a mile east of the Clingmans Dome parking area along Clingmans Dome Road.
Park officials said 38-year-old Angela Walker was flown to the University of Tennessee Medical Center for treatment.
The 7-mile road branches off of Newfound Gap Road/U.S. 441 and leads to the highest point in the Great Smokies.
The National Park Service is investigating Monday's accident.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Policy violations led to CMS superintendent's suspension, sources say
- AMBER ALERT: 4-month-old girl abducted from North Carolina daycare
- Wife says husband drowned trying to rescue kids at NC beach
- FORECAST: Hot, muggy conditions press on with no relief in sight
- 3 North Carolinians charged after kids found locked in back of U-Haul carrying drugs
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.