WILMINGTON, N.C. - North Carolina sheriff's officials say they've found the body of the missing college student last seen swimming near Wrightsville Beach.
The New Hanover County Sheriff's Office confirmed Monday afternoon that 21-year-old Ian William Malson had been found dead in waters near the beach.
Rescue teams had been looking for Malson since Saturday, when he disappeared while swimming with friends near Palm Tree Island. The U.S. Coast Guard says Malson's friends realized he didn't make it back to the boat and called for help.
(Ian William Malson)
News outlets report the two-day search included Coast Guard boats and a helicopter from New Hanover County.
East Carolina University confirmed that Malson was enrolled at the school as a construction management major.
No cause of death has been released and the sheriff's office says they're investigating.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- CATS bus driver shot several times at uptown transit center; man in custody
- Trooper critically hurt in crash while chasing car; search continues for driver
- Former NASCAR promoter Humpy Wheeler puts lakefront property on market
- FORECAST: Cold front, strong storms cut off relentless heatwave
- Missing ECU student found dead near Wrightsville Beach
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.