MURPHY, N.C. - Authorities say a missing 5-year-old-old girl whose father hadn't seen her since she was a baby has been found in North Carolina, and her mother is charged in Missouri with abducting her.
The U.S. Marshals Task Force said in a news release that 25-year-old Jillanne Pagano was taken into custody Wednesday in Murphy, North Carolina, after she was seen leaving a home with the child. She is awaiting extradition to Missouri, where she was charged last year with felony child abduction.
Posters distributed online last year by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children said the girl went missing as a baby from Rocheport, Missouri.
Charging documents say the child's father hadn't seen his daughter since August 2013. He was granted custody in December 2016.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- CMPD investigating after 13-year-old reports being sexually assaulted by 3 men
- Walmart outsourcing means layoffs for nearly 600 employees in Charlotte
- Home alone: Police say North Carolina 11-year-old hit intruder with machete
- FORECAST: Sunny, dry Saturday on tap for Charlotte region
- Family to file lawsuit against popular Fort Mill restaurant over racism claims
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.