Speaker Tim Moore said Wednesday he anticipates more action on the GOP-written Medicaid measure next week. That's because he says he's keeping his earlier promise to consider expansion after a successful override vote, which occurred Wednesday morning when dozens of Democrats were absent from the House floor.
The Republican proposal sets small premium payments and work requirements for participants. Moore acknowledged many Republicans don't support expansion - it's been a stumbling block in this summer's budget stalemate with Cooper. Opposition is particularly acute in the GOP-controlled Senate.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Domestic violence suspect arrested after leading police on chase, CMPD says
- DISTRICT 9: Bishop holds onto GOP seat in do-over election
- Father gets 23 years in prison for beating his child to death in Rock Hill
- FORECAST: Another hot day for Charlotte region as heat index nears 100
- People remember learning of 9/11 tragedies with #WhereWereYou
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.