RALEIGH, N.C. - A North Carolina man has been sentenced to life in prison for the triple murder of his neighbors who had accused him of child molestation.
News outlets report Jonathan Sander was sentenced Monday for the 2016 deaths of Sal Mazzella's wife, adult son and daughter-in-law.
Before the sentence was handed down, Mazzella said he has forgiven Sander. Sander sarcastically applauded that announcement and launched into a nearly 30-minute rant that blamed and insulted other people.
He began to threaten jurors and was cut off by Judge Graham Shirley, who said Sander would die in obscurity despite his crimes.
Sander was friends with Mazzella's son Sandy, and the family accused him of child molestation in 2016. Evidence says he burst into their home with a shotgun while screaming, "Child molester? Really, Sandy?"
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Convicted murderer causes $30K in damage during Sunday church service
- Leaders call for calm after CMPD releases body cam video of deadly shooting
- WATCH: Man eludes police after robbery, assault, chase through Charlotte
- FORECAST: Chilly start but temps will warm under sunny skies
- CMPD: Man led police on chase after firing 20 shots outside strip club
- Recall alert: Chewy Chips Ahoy cookies recalled
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.