FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — Authorities say a juvenile has been charged in the shooting death of a newborn baby at a home in North Carolina.
The Cumberland County Sheriff's Office said Sunday that the juvenile is in custody in the shooting death Friday night of a 21-day-old infant in Fayetteville.
The sheriff's office says the baby was pronounced dead at a medical center where it was taken Friday night.
Authorities declined to identify the juvenile, disclose further details of the shooting or the charge or charges involved.
A study published in the American Journal of Public Health estimated that 43 percent of U.S. homes with children and guns had at least one unlocked firearm, meaning it wasn't kept in a locked place nor protected by a trigger lock or other mechanism.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- American Airlines to cancel 90 flights a day after Boeing 737 Max planes grounded
- Police investigating homicide after man shot multiple times in southwest Charlotte
- NC Lottery: $1M ticket sold at Gaston Co. mini mart; Powerball jumps to $750M
- FORECAST: Clear skies, sunshine to last through weekend before rainy Monday
- Woman sues franchisee after viral video shows Concord Subway worker hitting, cursing at her