DURHAM, N.C. - A North Carolina teen has been charged with shooting, robbing and carjacking a man after being lured with an online offer of a cell phone sale.
The Durham Police Department said that the attack happened Tuesday afternoon after the 19-year-old victim arranged to meet with two people to buy a cell phone through OfferUp.
Police say the victim was then robbed of his wallet, phone and 2007 Toyota Camry. The victim was shot once and pistol whipped. He was taken to the hospital with serious injuries.
Officers spotted the vehicle, attempted to stop it, and then the suspect crashed into a patrol car.
Joseph Demario Cates, 17, was charged as an adult with counts including robbery and assault with a deadly weapon.
A second suspect is still at large.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Private school founder gets federal prison term for role in human trafficking
- Worker hurt in explosion, fire at Catawba County plant, firefighters say
- Charlotte defense attorney explains increase in violent crimes
- FORECAST: Near-record lows Wednesday morning; chill sticking around
- 2 boys who escaped Concord development center captured
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.