AUTRYVILLE, N.C. - A North Carolina woman was gifted a $1 lottery ticket for Mother's Day that turned out to be worth $1.3 million.
News outlets report Vielka Roman, of Sampson County, won the third-largest jackpot ever in the Carolina Cash 5 game on Sunday. The state Education Lottery says Roman will be taking home about $958,000 after taxes. A state Education Lottery release says Roman was gifted the ticket by her sister, Neris, who bought it in Fayetteville.
The release says Roman wants to put her winnings toward her home and car. Roman says her family just moved to the area and bought a home, so "it will be nice to have room to breathe."
The release says Carolina Cash 5 and other games annually raise more than $650 million for education.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'She didn't bother anybody': Salisbury mother followed, killed by stranger
- Missing Maui hiker's NC family still searching for her; boyfriend passes polygraph
- NC Taco Bell workers appear to smoke inside, as line of cars grows in drive-thru
- FORECAST: Warmer, humid conditions expected for rest of week
- 15-footer among 'cluster' of great white sharks tracked off Carolina coast
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.