EMERALD ISLE, N.C. - Police say a man rescued from the ocean on the North Carolina coast last weekend has died.
Emerald Isle police confirmed on their Facebook page that 48-year-old Robert Ray Patterson of Jacksonville died on Tuesday.
Officials say Patterson had apparently been carried out by rip currents with other swimmers on Sunday. Three of those swimmers were pulled ashore by surfers, while Patterson was taken to a nearby hospital.
Patterson is the sixth person to drown on Carteret County beaches in 2019. Of the total, four have occurred in Emerald Isle, and the other two drowned at Atlantic Beach.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Horrified NC mom watches son, boyfriend drown as rip current drags them out to sea
- 1 killed, 2 others injured when car slams into pole on I-77 in Huntersville
- Mom of 5 slain South Carolina children sobs on stand at ex-husband's trial
- FORECAST: Short term relief from humidity before heat wave rolls in
- CMPD: Man caught moaning, peeping through woman's bedroom window
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.