BURLINGTON, N.C. - A homeowner with a shotgun has fended off a man who police say tried to break into the home using an ax.
A news release from Burlington police says the suspect identified as 29-year-old William Lawrence Cowan tried to enter the house through a back door on Sunday morning, with an ax that belonged to the homeowner.
Police say the homeowner pointed the shotgun at Cowan, causing him to leave the ax behind and run away from the house. Cowan was arrested two blocks away without incident.
Cowan is charged with “break or enter a building with the intent to commit felony/larceny.” He’s being held in the Alamance County Detention Center on a $5,000 bond. It’s unclear whether he had an attorney who could speak for him.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'Do not approach': Manhunt underway for homicide suspect in Iredell County
- Bursted pipe floods Charlotte apartments; tenants evacuated
- Woman shot, killed at party in north Charlotte business park; man charged
- FORECAST: Cool temps, scattered showers to start the workweek
- Fired Cook Out employee accused of denying NC officer service speaks out
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.