FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) — A Fayetteville woman has been arrested after police say she tried to drown and smother her 2-year-old nephew.
News outlets report that Fayetteville police say 24-year-old Regina L. Durr was taken into custody Saturday night on attempted first-degree murder and felony child abuse charges.
Police say officers responded to an "unconscious juvenile" call that day at a home, where Durr was caring for the child.
Police say an investigation revealed that the suspect had attempted to drown and smother the boy.
The child was taken to the hospital. Officials say he has since been released in good condition.
It's unclear whether Durr has an attorney.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Woman killed in double shooting in south Charlotte, CMPD says
- NC High Country schools create policy for safe winter driving
- Mom of 6 writes note to husband before leaving for girls weekend
- Woman trying to take photo falls to death from California cliff
- Police: NC woman tried to drown, smother 2-year-old nephew
Cox Media Group