WILSON, N.C. — Several dead dogs have been found dead in trash bags in one North Carolina county within a week.
Five dogs have been found in Wilson County since Friday. Wilson County Humane Society President Kim Edmonson says she discovered the latest dead dog on Wednesday afternoon.
The humane society believes the instances are connected.
Edmonson says Wilson County deputies said a dog found Monday was too badly decomposed to investigate, and asked the city sanitation department to dispose of the remains, but they were still there Tuesday.
She said she took that dog to a vet, who determined it was an adult male pit bull mix who died from blunt force trauma.
The sheriff's office told the station that they've turned the case over to an animal cruelty investigator.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Procession, funeral arrangements announced for Rev. Billy Graham
- CMPD releases several videos of fatal 2016 officer-involved shooting
- One dead in overnight mobile home fire near Hickory; SBI investigating
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Tearful student asks Trump, 'How do we not stop this?'
- 'America's Pastor' Rev. Billy Graham dies 'peacefully' at 99